Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Thinking like HR/Recruiting

As the end of my internship approaches, I am focused on turning it into a job offer. A final presentation on my activities to a panel of evaluators is meant to cover the skills and traits Shell values - capacity, achievement, and relationships. I am finding it remarkably natural to demonstrate these three criteria. I am a smart guy with academic credentials (capacity) who is goal oriented and results driven (achievement) and build lasting relationships over a long period of time (relationships). My conclusion: Shell and I are a good match. The importance of this statement can't be overstated because these same three criteria will form the basis for performance evaluations and promotions throughout my career at Shell (If I succeed in landing the job offer). In contrast, went through several rounds of interviews with a consulting firm before failing to get an offer for summer internship. Their feedback on why I didn't get an offer? They valued charisma and assertiveness and weren't sure I could "own the room" the minute I entered. In hindsight, I now see that they would not have been a good match for me. To succeed in that company, I would have had to change myself into an assertive personality with confidence over dialog... not who I am in my core. So one lesson I am learning from this internship is the importance of finding a match between the person and the "culture" (an over-used buzzword), and how to search for this match: think like an HR recruiter for the company and ask what they are scanning the crowd to find. Is it you?

No comments:

Post a Comment