Monday, August 24, 2009

Insights as an Intern

As MBA interns, we are in a unique position my friends. We are training in the skills and art of management, and are likely to rise into management roles quickly. But for now, we are interns, down in the trenches, surrounded by people creating actual work product... and welcomed openly into these conversations. Take advantage of the insights.

In my case, Shell is going through a major top-down reorganization, with a new CEO emphasizing speedy execution with fewer levels of decision-making and an 80-20 approach (the speed will produce a few mistakes, which we'll fix). In the morning I'm in meetings where we're talking abou the 2nd-tier assignments that have been made - who's on the lists and who isn't - managers talking politics. Then back in my cubicle, my mates are whispering about who's taking early retirement, which departments are going to see cuts, and how the work load is going to shift and get done. Overall I would say the reorganization is going well and behind handled exceptionally well. Top management is open and clear about their plans, the benefits we are trying to achieve, and everyone's role in helping to achieve them. And the Shell culture has a reputation for treating people well and fairly. But the tone of my morning and afternoon conversations is different. In the morning we have optimism, vision, and discuss opportunity. Who has a chance of moving up? What good will this do for the organization and future? My afternoon conversations are more pessimistic, with more uncertainty breeding more rumors and speculation.

The point I'm trying to make is this: this is a great opportunity as an intern to get a true view of the thoughts and feelings and conversations that occur during a top-down reorganization. These are censored from the real managers, but for now I'm just the intern.

No comments:

Post a Comment