Saturday, August 8, 2009

Oh, you're a hi-po

Ok, just realized I forgot to tell you how I'm different from the other interns. Turns out I'm a hi-po. That's short for "High-potential MBA" (Shell loves acronyms, LOVES them). Being a hi-po basically means I've been pegged as having higher ultimate potential, which puts me on a slightly different track. It's one way Shell tries to avoid the trap of promotion to incompetence. They use a variety of means to assess a person's likely ultimate potential (e.g., middle management) as one of many elements in the decision for promotion trajectory.

Anyway, there's three of us hi-pos here in Houston. Me in Commercial Excellence, one in Lubes, and the third in divestitures (I'm forgetting the real title there). We get together for lunch every couple weeks, compare notes. One guy did his exit presentation this week (more on that later), the other does his next week, so I'm the straggler of the group staying until Sept. 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment